PLT3521 - Parties and power in Australia
6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Arts
Leader(s): Nick Economou
Clayton Second semester 2009 (Day)
This is an advanced unit in Australian Politics which concentrates on the political party system. It involves an examination of
- the emergence of the Australian party system;
- the organisation and ideologies of the parties;
- the role of parties within parties;
- the nature of competition among the parties;
- the relationship between political parties and social movements; and
- the relationship between the party system and the electoral system. A theme of the subject will be the way the parties exercise political power in Australia.
Essay (2000 words): 40%
Tutorial participation: 10%
Examination (2 hours): 50%
Third-year students will be required to undertake a question during the exam from a section devoted to issues of a more conceptual nature.
3 hours (2 x 1 hour lectures and 1 x 1 hour tutorial) per week
A first-year sequence in Politics or permission.