PHL4020 - Philosophy honours B
12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Arts
Leader(s): Dirk Baltzly
Students take two units from the following list:
- Metaphysics and Epistemology;
- Value Theory;
- Foundations of Analytic Philosophy;
- Contemporary European Philosophy;
- Supervised Reading,
- Philosophy of Mind and Cognition;
- Philosophical Pedagogy. Each unit consists of nine 2-hour seminars. At least three units will be offered. Students will be provided details of which units are on offer as well as specific reading lists shortly after they receive their offer letter to undertake Honours.
Students who successfully complete this subject will gain the ability to read and understand advanced philosophical material in some specific areas of current research. They will be able to examine and criticise arguments in those areas, as well as develop and defend their own position on some specific issues within those areas. They will further their basic competence in the use of research tools in Philosophy. Those who undertake the Philosophical Pedagogy unit will additionally gain an appreciation for the ways in which the practical demonstration of these research skills informs teaching.
Written work: 85% or 100% (7500-9000 words). Some choices of component may involve oral presentations: 15%
Two units. Each unit consists of nine 2-hour seminars.
Philosophy Honours A