MTE5516 - Case studies in materials engineering
6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Engineering
Leader(s): G P Simon
This unit allows students to investigate and deepen their understanding of an area of materials engineering through the medium of a one semester project. Ideally this would be a work-related materials problem chosen in conjunction with the unit coordinator, but students will also be supplied with a selection of topic areas from which to choose. In the course of this project students will develop the ability to identify, research and analyse materials issues in the broader engineering context.
- A deeper understanding of the topic area selected by the student
- The ability to identify the materials engineering aspect of a problem
- The ability to report on an area of independent investigation
- An awareness of the skills needed to critically analyse a range of information sources
- An awareness of the literature, standards, handbooks, and databases available to assist with materials-related problems.
Project plan: 10%, Interim reports: 30%, Final report (5000 to 6000 words): 60%
150 hours of private study