MPM5206 - The psychiatry of intellectual and developmental disabilities
4 points, SCA Band 3, 0.0833333 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): Dr Jenny Torr
Clayton First semester 2009 (Day)
Historical, philosophical, ethical, humanitarian and legal issues in the lives and care of people with intellectual/developmental disabilities; epidemiology of intellectual/developmental disabilities; intellectual/developmental disability within the family life cycle, in society and across the lifespan are covered. Psychiatric disorder in intellectual/developmental disability is also examined in detail.
At the conclusion of this selective candidates will be able to:
- Understand, define and differentiate the terms Intellectual Disability and Developmental Disability.
- Appreciate ethical, humanitarian and legal issues regarding people with intellectual/development disabilities and incorporate this understanding into psychiatric practice.
- Identify biopsychosocial risk factors for psychiatric disorders in people with intellectual/developmental disabilities.
- Understand and minimise the barriers to diagnosis of psychiatric disorder in people with developmental disabilities.
- Appreciate the importance of identifying the cause of a developmental disability and recognise common syndromes and behavioural phenotypes.
- Understand and describe how psychiatric disorders present in people with intellectual/developmental disabilities.
- Differentiate and assess the causes of challenging behaviour.
- Conduct a modified psychiatric assessment and formulate a diagnostic hypothesis and management plan.
- Give an appraisal of various service models for delivering psychiatric services to people with intellectual/developmental disabilities.
1.Satisfactory participation in either face to face or on-line tutorials:
A) Participation in group discussion
B) Completion of learning activities
2. 1,500 word written assignment
The unit presented as a series of interactive seminars based upon learning modules.
MPM Year 1 units