MFM2007 - Learning and teaching
12 points, SCA Band 3, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): Professor L Piterman
This unit is a compulsory core unit for the MFM(Clin) course. It discusses the general practitioner as a learner and a teacher, what is learning, what is teaching, instructional design, educational technology, small group process, large group process, assessment and evaluation.
On completion of this unit participants should be able to:
- Enhance the knowledge and skills of students in the areas of learning and teaching family medicine;
- Enable students to apply these skills in a range of educational settings, including the consultation, groups of lay people, medical undergraduates and postgraduates, peers and allied health professionals;
- Recognise the nature of assessment and program evaluation;
- Carry out assessment and simple evaluation tasks (Masters students) which indicate that an appreciation of these areas has been achieved;
- Demonstrate and record two teaching sessions which reflect an acquisition of the microskills of teaching (all students).
Journals (40%), Classroom presentations (60%)