MED7012 - Medical Science Research Project B
18 points, SCA Band 3, 0.375 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): Dr Juanita Fernando
Students undertaking this unit will be placed with a research group in a work-based research department or unit of the University to undertake the research project component of the course. Students will have the opportunity to undertake projects in areas that may be clinically or laboratory based and students can select from a wide range of projects. The research project year requires completion all the elements for a presentation of a research project including oral presentations, literature review and thesis.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- retrieve, interpret and critically review the scientific literature relevant to their research project;
- employ a variety of scientific procedures and techniques that are essential to the satisfactory completion and reporting of a research project;
- utilize a range of technical skills appropriate to the discipline relevant to their research project;
- manage and analyse data acquired from their research activities;
- write up scientific work in a potentially publishable way;
- effectively communicate in both oral and written presentations to a scientific audience;
- comply with ethical requirements relevant to their research project; and
- pursue higher research degree studies in selected disciplines of biomedical science.
Seminar/oral presentation: 10%
Faculty oral presentation: 10%
Minor thesis/ Research report (9000 -12000 words): 80%
Average 36 hours per week
MED7201 Medical Science research methods 1. Students must be enrolled in Bachelor of Medical Science.
MED7202 Research Methods 2