MCP0005 - Child psychotherapy 5 year 3
8 points, SCA Band 3, 0.1666667 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): Mrs J Beaufoy
Clayton First semester 2009 (Day)
Seminars include psychoanalytic theories and psychopathology including the work of Sigmund Freud, Melanie Klein and Wilfred Bion. Clinical and Research seminars continue. Clinical Supervision: individual psychotherapy supervision, 2 hours per week. Parent Therapy Supervision, 1 hour per week. Work Study Seminar, 2 hours per week.
The objectives of this unit are:
- To continue in seminars an exploration of the fundamental psychoanalytic and developmental theories.
- To explore the application of these theories to various aspects of clinical work both in seminars and clinical supervision.
- To examine the psychodynamic functioning of groups and organisations; to examine research and thesis writing as relevant to the area.
- To participate in a weekly work-study seminar where detailed accounts of an aspect of the workplace are discussed in a psychoanalytic framework.
- To undertake psychotherapy with patients viz. children, adolescents and parents and to present this work to the clinical supervisors; to be able to demonstrate competence with the various techniques in the work.
Trainees' performance on seminars
Written report of the work study seminar to be submitted
Written report submitted by clinical supervisors for each trainee detailing progress made
An integration of the various aspects of the unit are to be demonstrated in the students' clinical work