MAE2400 - Engineering materials
6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Engineering
Leader(s): J-F Nie
Clayton First semester 2009 (Day)
This unit provides a broad foundation on engineering materials. It gives an introduction to the basic physical and mechanical properties of common materials (metals, composites and ceramics). It presents students with the basic knowledge of functional materials and devices. Material selection, materials performance and failure mechanisms will be discussed in application to selected components and modern devices in aerospace engineering and mechatronics.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Understand the materials classification and their atomic and molecular structure
- Describe the features of a material which controls a given property
- Understand the material properties and their relation to structure as a function of forming methods and heat treatment processes
- Formulate design criteria based on material properties
- Appreciate material compatibility requirements in the fabrication of devices from different classes of materials
Two written assignments: 20%
Laboratory work: 15%
Examination (3 hours): 65%
3 x 1 hour lecture, 1 hour of problem solving classes and 7 hours of private study per week. 3 x 3 hrs laboratory classes per semester.