JPL2752 - Intermediate Japanese reading skills
6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Arts
Leader(s): Dr Beatrice Trefalt
Clayton Second semester 2009 (Day)
Provides students with the opportunity to improve their skills in reading and writing in Japanese, including development of their knowledge of kanji and understanding of written language styles and vocabulary. A range of texts, such as newspaper articles, essays and short stories will be utilised, organised around themes relating to Japanese culture and society.
Upon successfully completing this unit, student should:
- Feel more at ease in approaching a variety of Japanese texts.
- Be able to recognize a larger number of kanji.
- Have become familiar with the written language style in Japanese.
- Have acquired rapid reading skills which will lead to extensive reading.
- Have enhanced their ability to use Japanese dictionaries.
- Have consolidated and further developed their skills in grammar and vocabulary which are used for textual communication, both reading and writing.
2 Exams: (15%
Class performance and exercises: 20%
Written work: 30% (1500 words)
4 hours (2 x 2 hour seminars) per week
JPL1040 or equivalent