JPL1080 - Japanese 8
6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Arts
Leader(s): Dr Takako Tomoda
Clayton Second semester 2009 (Day)
This is the second part of a sequence progressing from the intermediate to the advanced levels of Japanese. Activities are built around topics relating to current issues in Japan and to cultural interaction between Australians and Japanese. Students will reinforce 1006 kyooiku kanji.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will have:
- Further developed skills in using a wide range of grammar patterns, phrases and vocabulary appropriately in both written and spoken Japanese.
- Reinforced their knowledge of the kyooiku kanji acquired so far (900) and developed their knowledge of an additional 150 kanji frequently used in the Japanese media.
- Developed the skills to gain information on current issues from newspaper articles, journals, books and the internet, and through interviews with Japanese people.
- Developed their skills to summarise findings and express themselves in appropriate written forms, in group discussions, in presentations and in interviews with Japanese people.
- Developed a firm foundation for the continued acquisition of both spoken and written Japanese at an advanced level.
Tests and Examination: 65%
On-going assessment: 35%
4 hours (1 x 1 hour lecture and 3 hours tutorials/seminars) per week
Japanese 7 or equivalent