ITA1070 - Italian studies 7
6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Arts
Leader(s): Roberta Mandis
Clayton First semester 2009 (Day)
This unit integrates two components:
- Level 7 Language (70%) and
- Level 7 Culture (30%).
- Language: the aim is to stimulate and improve advanced language acquisition through the integrated practice of the four language skills. The program has a thematic approach. Topic areas explored include: education, social and environmental issues, changes in attitudes relating to the use of the Italian language and institutions.
- The cultural component for level 7 introduces students to nineteenth century and early twentieth century Italy through an overview of the period and the analysis of representative texts.
Upon successful completion of this unit the students will have progressed in all four language skills:
- Listening: they will be able to understand authentic spoken Italian from songs, films, plays, TV news;
- Reading: they will be able to comprehend a range of authentic (although slightly edited) non-specialist Italian written texts (such as short stories and magazine articles) and specialist Italian written texts (such as news reports and advertisements);
- Speaking: they will be able to interact in correct Italian in a range of specific situations (telephone messages; sales techniques; fairly simple debates);
- Writing: they will be able to produce a range of coherent, short (approx. 300-word) descriptive, argumentative or persuasive texts in correct and appropriate Italian. Culture: students will have acquired an overview to key aspects of nineteenth and early twentieth century culture and society.
Mid-semester Specialized Culture Assignment 1 (1000 words) in English or in Italian 15%
End-of-semester Specialized Culture Assignment 2 (1000 words) in English or in Italian 15%
Continuous assessment (class work, vocab and grammar tests and homework exercises): Equivalent of (1000 words) in English 30%
Aural/oral work Equivalent of (500 words) in English 15%
Examination Equivalent of (1000 words) in English 25%
4 hours (1 hour culture lecture and 3 hours language workshops) per week
Italian studies 6