INM4010 - Indonesian 1
6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Arts
Leader(s): Paul Thomas
The primary focus of the unit is on the communication skills required for use in an Indonesian setting. Lectures cover a broad introduction to the culture and geography of Indonesia as well as an introduction to strategies and skills required in learning a language. Practicals deal with the introduction and application of basic communication tasks with an emphasis on numeracy skills and immediate needs.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Understand basic grammatical structures of the Indonesian language.
- Consider cultural influences on the use of the Indonesian language.
- Use Indonesian to communicate everyday needs with particular emphasis on introductions and family
- Apply acquired learning skills to new language learning environments.
- Use the Internet and associated electronic tools to obtain information about aspects of language and culture related to Indonesia.
Spoken presentation: 25%
Cultural journal (in English): 15%
Short tasks 10%
Written exam: 30%
Spoken exam: 20%.
Two 1-hour lectures and two 1-hour tutorials per week
Off-campus attendance requirements
1 weekend school or equivalent hours with private tutor.