INM3050 - Indonesian 5
6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Arts
Leader(s): Yacinta Kurniasih
Passages from the Indonesian print media and other sources on selected topics relating to Indonesian society, culture and politics are critically analysed. Audio-visual material on selected topics are viewed and discussed, and writing tasks using appropriate registers are undertaken. Indonesian is the medium of instruction in all classes.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will have:
- enhanced and deepened their knowledge of issues in contemporary Indonesian society, politics and culture;
- strengthened their understanding of the way Indonesian language is structured and registered, and extended their vocabulary to convey information about, and interpretation of, attitudes to these issues;
- enhanced their skills in listening and comprehension of spoken Indonesian language;
- increased their skills in reproducing appropriate structure and registers of Indonesian language in speaking and writing;
- strengthened their translation skills, both from Indonesian to English and vice versa.
Spoken word project: 25%
Written project: 20%
Short tasks and class assignments: 15%
Written exam: 25%
Spoken exam: 15%
Two 1-hour lectures and two 1-hour tutorials per week
Off-campus attendance requirements
1 weekend school or equivalent hours with private tutor.
INM2040 or equivalent