HSY3225 - History and film: Nazi Germany and the Jewish holocaust
6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Arts
Leader(s): Mia Treacey
Clayton Second semester 2009 (Day)
As for HSY2225
Students successfully completing this subject will be able to understand:
- The nature of historical film in its various forms.
- The criteria for assessing the merits of historical film, and the ways film differs from other forms of historical representation.
- The influence of film in the past and upon later historical understanding.
- The role of historians in film-making.
- The ways in which film can extend and challenge our understanding of history as a discourse.
Film commentary (1000 words): 25%
Long essay (2500 words): 40%
Test (1000 words): 25%
Tutorial participation: 10%
3 hours a week, comprising of films, lectures and tutorials
A first year sequence in History or permission