FTM5120 - Research essay in film And television studies
12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Arts
Leader(s): David Hanan
The research essay offers students an opportunity to initiate and explore research processes in film and television studies under the supervision of a member of staff, with whom one meets regularly. Students should select their topic for the research essay during the second half of the previous semester, in consultation with the postgraduate coordinator. The research essay needs to be submitted by the last teaching week of the semester in which the course is taken.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will have demonstrated that they can:
- Design and Develop a significant research project
- Critically survey theoretical writings in order to find an appropriate theoretical framework for the project
- Demonstrate an awareness of methodological considerations in carrying it out.
- Undertake independent research with some guidance from a supervisor
- Analyse texts and / or data in a way that is relevant to the framework adopted.
- On the basis of the analysis carried out, present a cogently structured argument and a set of conclusions in relation to the topic.
Research essay (9000 words): 100%
A fortnightly one hour meeting with the supervisor
Honours degree (or equivalent) in Film and Television or approved discipline Completion of 2 units in the MA by Coursework in Film and Television Studies