FRN4600 - Academic discourse in French
12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Arts
Leader(s): Philip Anderson
Varied oral and written tasks with particular emphasis on analytical reading and writing activities of relevance to the preparation of the dissertation.
On completion of this unit students should have practised and improved:
- Their written, aural and oral skills in French with particular reference to French as it is used in an academic context.
- Their reading and analytical skills in relation to texts representative of selected areas of French Studies.
- Their skills in written and oral summary, synthesis and critique of texts representative of selected areas of French Studies.
- Their use of discourse of exposition and argument in French.
- Their research skills in sourcing information and acknowledging sources through library use and preparation of bibliographies.
- Their skills in planning and drafting oral and written versions of an academic paper.
- Their skills in planning and drafting a dissertation, from the defining of a research question on.
Written work: 60%
Oral presentations: 40%
3 hours (1 x 1 hour and 1 x 2 hour tutorial) per week
At least FRN3060