FOR2003 - Custodial medicine
8 points, SCA Band 3, 0.1666667 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): A/Prof M Levy
The aim of this unit is to present and discuss the current issues arising from the provision of a medical service in a custodial setting. The topics to be covered include penal institutions and the powers and responsibilities of custodians; ethical issues; fitness for interview; fitness for detention; deaths in custody; interpersonal violence and the assessment and management of some frequently presenting medical problems.
On completion of this unit the student is expected to:
- understand the responsibilities and powers of custodians;
- display a knowledge of custodial and penal institutions;
- show familiarity with the procedures for investigating complaints by prisoners and the issues surrounding deaths in custody;
- comprehend the ethical issues of the doctor/patient relationship in a custodial setting;
- conduct an assessment of an individual's fitness to be interviewed or detained in custody;
- recognise and manage a range of medical problems presenting in the custodial setting.
Assignments / Essays (30%)
Case Studies (40%)
Casebook Workbook (20%)