FIT5160 - Business process modelling, design and simulation
6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Information Technology
Leader(s): Dr Yen Cheung
Business processes must be designed to ensure that they are effective and meet customer requirements. A well-designed process will improve efficiency and deliver greater productivity. This unit will introduce students to analytical tools that can be used to model, analyse, understand and design business processes. Students will also gain hands-on experience in using simulation software as a tool for analysing business processes.
At the conclusion of this unit students will:
- Have a thorough understanding of business organisations, their functional structure and the advantage of considering the process oriented view of organisations;
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of business processes, their structure and how processes fit in to the overall organisation objectives;
- Be able to use analytical tools for modeling, analysing, understanding and designing business processes;
- Have acquired skills to use simulation software as a tool for analysing business processes;
- Be able to report to and advise management on business process design and re-engineering issues.
Examination (3 hours): 60%; Assignments: 40%
3 x contact hrs/week
FIT9003 or IMS9001 and IMS9003 or BUS9520 and BUS5071