FIT5159 - IT for financial decisions
6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Information Technology
Leader(s): Associate Professor Vincent Lee
This unit provides students with an understanding of the development and use of IT tools and techniques for modelling and decision support in the field of finance. The unit is designed to give students a broad understanding of the financial subsystems confronting business enterprises. The main focus, besides the traditional modelling of finance decision making process using spreadsheet tools, will be IT tools and related techniques that can aid in the analysis and interpretation of real financial problems confronting an enterprise. This unit will look at business related financial issues in the context of specific case studies.
At the conclusion of the unit students will:
- Understand the core foundations of finance, as appropriate to key financial analysis and decision making;
- Understand the core technologies that support financial analysis and decision making;
- Understand quantitative techniques supporting financial analysis and decision making;
- Be able to apply the technologies and techniques studied to solving financial issues;
- Be able to analyse financial solution requirements and select appropriate technical and quantitative decision aids;
- Be able to interpret outputs from quantitative and technology based finance tools to aid in decision making.
Examination (2 hours): 60%; Assignments: 40%
FIT9004 or CSE9000 or BUS9520
Basic descriptive and inferential statistics.