FIT5108 - Reading unit
6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Information Technology
Leader(s): Dr Grace Rumantir (Caulfield); Dr Rod Martin (Clayton)
This unit enables students to read widely in a relevant topic within the fields of information technology, information systems or information management, under supervision. It may be an area not offered in any other fifth-year level unit, or involve building more in-depth knowledge in an area with which they already have some familiarity. Students enrolling in this unit must have the approval of the Head of School or their nominee. Details for the reading unit will be defined and approved individually for each student and will include objectives, assessment and an initial reading list. Assessment comprises a research paper or review (6000-10,000 words), project report, or equivalent.
On completion of this unit students will have:
- Gained in-depth understanding of a relevant topic of interest that enhances their prior studies;
- Developed their ability to analyse and synthesise and construct arguments from a range of published sources;
- Developed skills at critiquing and evaluating others' ideas, opinions and arguments;
- Learnt to work effectively in a close, cooperative relationship with a supervisor;
- Enhanced their skills as independent learners, demonstrating self-reliance and effective time management.
Research assignment: 100%
Students meet weekly with their supervisors for approximately 30 minutes to set goals and report on achievements and difficulties.
24 points of Graduate units from the Faculty of Information Technology