FIT3104 - Chinese language information technology
6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Information Technology
Leader(s): Associate Professor Chung-Hsing Yeh
This unit will cover a wide variety of techniques and computing systems developed for supporting business applications software systems in Chinese language. Specific topics include Chinese-enabling systems, Chinese character sets and encoding methods, Chinese character input methods, Chinese character output, and Chinese computing on the Internet. To enable students to understand the development of global software for all languages including Chinese, the principles and techniques for multilingual information processing, including universal character encoding methods will be discussed. The unit will be taught in English, but students need to have a good knowledge of written Chinese.
On completion of this unit students will:
- be familiar with Chinese language and multilingual computing environments;
- learn the principles and skills of Chinese business computing through the practical use of Chinese software systems;
- acquire skills that can easily be translated into using software in non-Roman languages;
- understand Chinese and universal character encoding methods for multilingual information processing;
- develop the ability to understand the techniques used to develop Chinese and global software for business applications.
Examination (2 hours): 70%
3 x contact hrs/week
Familiarity with written Chinese