FIT2024 - Software engineering practice
6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Information Technology
Leader(s): Dr David Squire
This unit develops students' understanding of and skills in professional Software Engineering practices at the personal level. Students experience work in a team environment and extend their programming skills by learning a new object oriented language and maintaining a system that is larger than their experience in prior units. Students develop skills in estimating, monitoring, reviewing and reporting on practical projects.
Knowledge and Understanding. Students will:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of the Personal Software Process and its benefits, including the need for planning, estimation, recording time, product and defect metrics, reviews, and reflection;
- Understand the importance of, and the relationship between, a quality process and a quality product;
- Reinforce and extend their knowledge of OO programming concepts by learning how they are implemented in another programming language;
- Acquire an understanding of the Software Engineer's role in software development and maintenance and working with large systems;
- Understand the Team Software Process and how it relates to the Personal Software Process.
Attitudes, Values and Beliefs:
- Students will begin to develop a positive professional attitude;
- Students will recognise the importance of adhering to software engineering principles in designing and implementing systems.
- Students will be able to make personal estimates and work plans, produce work logs and diaries, produce product and defect metrics, and participate in technical review meetings;
- Students will be able to monitor, reflect upon, and improve their own productivity and effectiveness;
- Students will be able to use a new object oriented programming language to construct systems consisting of many interacting classes;
- Students will be able to analyse, debug and perform maintenance on large existing object-oriented programs.
Relationships, Communication and Team Work:
- Students will be able to produce reports on their plans, progress, and reviews;
- Students will be able to work effectively in small teams, and cooperatively with other teams.
Examination and unit tests: 50%, Assignments 50%
4 x contact hrs/week
CFR2128, CFR3042, CSC2050, CSC3020, CSE2201, GCO3811, RDT2231, FIT2025, FIT3037, (Translation for CSE2201)