FIT2008 - Networks and data communications
6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Information Technology
Leader(s): Dr Asad Khan
This unit will introduce students to fundamentals of distributed networked environment. The unit provides knowledge of internetworking standards and understanding of the networking architecture, technology and operation.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Discuss network architecture standards for open systems;
- Describe ISO reference and Internet models;
- Explain fundamentals and technologies of physical, data-link and network layers;
- Understand the functions and architectures of LAN and WAN;
- Analyse and design LAN architecture for organisational requirements.
At the completion of this unit students will have developed attitudes that enable them to:
- Adopt a problem solving approach;
- Accept the code of professional conduct and practice;
- Act in accordance with best practice, industry standards and professional ethics.
At the completion of this unit students will have gained the practical skills to analyse data communication networks.
At the completion of this unit students will demonstrate the communication skills necessary to:
- Cooperate effectively within small groups;
- Present their work in various forms.
Assignments: 40%; Examination: 60%.