ESC2132 - Field geology
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Science
Leader(s): Dr Peter Betts
Clayton Second semester 2009 (Day)
On the successful completion of this unit the student will be able to understand the basic concepts of geological mapping, understand the principles and methods of acquiring structural, sedimentological and stratigraphic data in the field, construct accurate geological maps and cross-sections based on field data, read and understand geological maps, understand the origin of geological information expressed in the literature, synthesise large amounts of geological data, and present conclusions derived from field geology in oral and written form. A six-day intensive mapping camp in the Buchan area of eastern Victoria is a major component of the course.
After completing this unit the student will have gained an understanding of geology in the field, including constructing and interpreting geological maps.
The student will be able to:
- Understand the basic concepts of geological mapping, a fundamental part of understanding earth processes, including the type of information contained on geological maps and how that information is vital to a complete understanding of regional geology;
- Understand how structural, sedimentological and stratigraphic data are obtained in the field and how such data helps us to understand geological evolution;
- Be able to construct accurate geological maps and cross-sections based on field data acquired by the student;
- Be able to read and understand geological maps in general;
- Understand the origin of field-based geological information presented in the literature;
- Synthesise large amounts of geological data and express the findings in a final scientific report and orally;
- Learn about safe behaviour in the field.
Geological map, cross-sections and field report: 60%
Assessment of field skills: 5%
Practical assessment: 10%
Literature review (2000 words): 25%
One 1-hour lecture and one 1-hour tutorial per week. Six field days (Eastern Victoria)
ESC2111 or permission of the Head of School