EPM5015 - Biostatistics practical project - Single unit
6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): Professor Andrew Forbes
This unit will involve students being exposed to a real-life biostatistical problem arising in an academic health research environment or industry. They will be supervised by an experienced biostatistician with a staff or honorary appointment at Monash University. Students will be allocated, or may select, one research project to be involved in, and will be required to make regular contact with the associated health research personnel together with the supervisor. The student will perform an analysis of appropriate complexity for the project and present and interpret the results in a written form to the health researcher and supervisor.
On completion of this unit students should be able to:
- appreciate the challenges facing a biostatistician in professional practice;
- demonstrate strategies for elicitation of pertinant research questions and associated biostatistical issues from a health or medical research project;
- collaborate with a medical researcher in devising a strategy for statistical analysis of the research data;
- perform data integrity checks and an appropriate statistical analysis;
- present the results and their interpretation in a written report suitable for presentation to a clinical research journal.
Written report 100%