EPM5014 - Probability and distribution theory
6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): A/Prof R Wolfe
This unit involves the study of basic probability and calculus-based methods of underpinning probability distributions and parameter estimation.
Upon completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the meaning and laws of probability;
- Apply calculus-based tools to derive key features of a probability distribution, such as mean and variance;
- Understand the theoretical basis for estimation via likelihood based methods;
- Apply calculus based tools to derive estimators from likelihood functions;
- Understand properties of parameter estimators and the usefulness of large sample approximations in statistics;
- Appreciate the role of simulation in demonstrating and explaining statistical concepts.
Written Assignments 80%
Practical written exercises 15%
Online discussion 5%