ENH2185 - Advanced Professional Writing
6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Arts
Leader(s): Baden Eunson
This course aims to further develop and refine both the practical and theoretical skills learned in Professional Writing ENH1260.
The course will focus on the production of documents in genres used in workplaces, particularly tenders/submissions/proposals/grants, instructions/manuals and position papers.
On completion, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate a detailed understanding of grammar and professional style
- Show an understanding of the principles of document design and graphic communication of information
- Write a tender/proposal/ submission/ grant document for a competitive bidding/ funding application situation
- Write sound documentation for instructions/ manuals, based on usability criteria
- Write a position paper which coherently presents an organizational standpoint on an issue or policy
- Demonstrate an ability to reinforce the message of a written document with a spoken presentation
Writing skills/style assessment test: 15%
Tender/submission/proposal/grant document (3000 words): 40%
Manual/set of instructions (1000 words): 15%
Position paper (1000 words): 15%
Presentation (Ten minutes): 15%
3 hours ( 1 x 1 lecture and 1 x 2 hour seminar) per week.
A first-year English sequence including ENH1260.