EIL4201(B) - English as an international language: Minor thesis and methodology part 2
12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Arts
Leader(s): Dr Farzad Sharifian
As for EIL4201(A)
Upon the successful completion of this unit students will be able to demonstrate:
- detailed knowledge and understanding of the cultural, ideological, and political influences associated with the spread of English around the globe as an international language,
- knowledge of the relationship between language, culture, and ideology,
- a critical appreciation of the literature on the spread of English around the world, including the ability to form an objective response to the issues raised in the literature,
- the ability to undertake scholarly independent research, and
- the ability to recognise the differences between evidence, interpretation, opinion and facts in secondary sources.
Written work: 90%
Oral presentation: 10%
Methodology 6 weeks x one 2hr seminar/week. Minor thesis by regular consultation with supervisor throughout the semester. (Minimum of 20 contact hours).
A major in English as an International Language