EDF4730 - Professional experience 1A
3 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.0625 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Dr M Plunkett (Gippsland)
In this unit, students are encouraged to reflect on their learning experiences in the secondary school context, with a focus on developing their professional knowledge, practice and engagement in line with expected professional standards. This includes knowledge of and demonstration of a professional code of ethics in their relations with students, colleagues, family members and the community. During and after the practicum, students will think about their professional learning and discuss their progressive development with their peers, school supervisors and university mentor in either face to face or online forums. They will develop a practicum folder to document their reflections and to form a record of their developing ability to reach the standards expected of graduating teachers.
Upon successful completion of this unit, which includes professional experience in schools, students will draw on their developing theoretical and practical understandings of the learning/teaching context in order to:
- link their theoretical understandings of pedagogy and curriculum to teaching practice;
- reflect on how resources can help to create rich and engaging learning environments;
- reflect on and respond to advice from their peers, supervising teachers and University mentor on their development as effective teachers;
- develop a range of teaching approaches to encourage effective student engagement and learning.
EDF4730 Professional experience 1A and EDF4731 Professional experience 1B together require 25 days of placement
1. Satisfactory completion of supervised Practicum Program of between 10 and 15 days to a total of up to 25 days between EDF4730 Professional experience 1A and EDF4731 Professional experience 1B.
2. Practicum Experience Portfolio Part 1A (equivalent to 1000 words) for EDF4730 Professional experience 1A.
All assessment is Pass Grade Only
Students will be expected to participate in introductory sessions, practicum and debriefing sessions either through face-to-face or online forums.