EDF4513 - Indigenous and traditional education in a global world
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Dr Z Ma Rhea
This unit studies the provision of formal schooling for Indigenous and traditional peoples. Students will examine education policies and practices which focus on strategies for achieving high quality teaching and learning outcomes. Students will investigate the role of education internationally in the preservation and maintenance of Indigenous and traditional societies, the potential for Indigenous and traditional education systems to partner with formal schooling provided by the nation state, issues pertaining to the retention and maintenance of Indigenous and traditional knowledge in schools, and strategies to improve education outcomes for Indigenous students in mainstream schooling.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- understand the terms 'Indigenous' and 'Traditional' as they pertain to education and schooling;
- explore the role of education in nation building and the place of Indigenous and local non-Western traditional education claims within nation building;
- identify issues pertaining to the retention and maintenance of indigenous and non-Western traditional knowledge through education;
- understand current thinking on intellectual property rights as these rights pertain to indigenous peoples and local communities;
- identify the role of international organisations in protecting, preserving and maintaining Indigenous and non-Western traditional education systems;
- describe the ways in which these concepts are related to each other and to contemporary forces of globalization and technologisation; and
- apply this knowledge when developing educational content in their area of expertise.
Assessment task 1: Written project (2,000 words, 50%); Assessment task 2: Photographic and reflective journal (2,000 words, 50%)
3 (max) contact hours per week
Enrolment in pre-service teacher education qualification, Bachelor of Education or Graduate Diploma of Education, BAL & D or by special permission.