EDF4428 - Jewish studies education
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Mr P Forgasz
Clayton Second semester 2009 (Day)
EDF4428 Jewish studies education in Semester 2 builds on the study in Semester 1 of EDF4119 The world of Jewish education. The primary purpose of this unit is to introduce students to the knowledge, skills, values and attitudes that underpin the teaching and learning of the various subject areas which fall under the generic heading of Jewish Studies. This unit deals with various topics, themes and issues related to the teaching of Jewish Studies in the secondary school. In addition to various pedagogical "hands-on" aspects of teaching Jewish Studies, the unit will also deal with issues and themes of a more philosophical or theoretical nature.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- plan and teach sequences of Jewish Studies lessons;
- develop a range of techniques and strategies appropriate to the teaching of particular Jewish Studies subjects;
- apply information and communication technologies (ICT) to the teaching of Jewish Studies subjects;
- make appropriate judgments about the suitability and use of various teaching and learning materials and resources;
- appreciate the relevance of Jewish educational research to the teaching of Jewish Studies; and
- apply knowledge from other units dealing with more general aspects of educational practice to the teaching of Jewish Studies.
This unit is graded Pass Grade Only (PGO); Assessment task 1: A unit of work for the classroom (2500 words - 60%). Assessment task 2: A review essay (1500 words - 40%);
3 hrs per week
A minor sequence in Jewish Studies within a tertiary degree or equivalent; and (EDF4119 The world of Jewish education or EDF5472)
Students must be enrolled simultaneously in a professional experience unit(s).
EDF5473 Jewish studies education B