EDF4425 - Visual art education 1
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Dr C Peers (Clayton)
This unit is designed to enable pre-service teachers to develop an understanding of the ways in which visual art pedagogy can be approached, and the corresponding nature of professional identity for the specialist art teacher. The emphasis is on exploring the concepts that have traditionally underpinned classroom practice in the visual arts, and on offering students opportunities to identify with the professional responsibilities specific to learning and teaching in the disciplines that inform visual art curriculum practice.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- understand the structural issues relevant to lessons and units-of-work in the visual arts;
- critically determine and select appropriate content for units of work in the visual arts;
- devise relevant tasks and activities for teaching and learning in the visual arts;
- identify important pedagogical issues in visual arts educational theory; and
- apply critical theoretical and conceptual issues to specific examples of visual arts curriculum practice.
This unit is graded Pass Grade Only (PGO); Assessment Task 1: Research Task: Structural issues in visual arts curriculum (2,000 words; 50%). Assessment Task 2: Research Presentation (2,000 words; 50%).
3 hrs per week
A major study in relevant area(s) of Visual Arts (eg photography, sculpture, drawing, ceramics, multimedia) which includes at least one quarter of a year of practical Arts content. And EDF4110 Arts education
EDF4426 Visual Arts 2 can only be taken in conjunction with EDF4425 Visual Arts 1
EDF5479 Visual art education 1B