EDF4421 - Social education
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Dr E Tudball (Clayton), Assoc. Prof. T Taylor (Gippsland)
This unit aims to continue to prepare students to become effective and knowledgeable Social Education teachers through the development of understanding of further strategies and pedagogy appropriate for teaching Social Education studies in years 7 to 12. The major focus will be on Social Education subjects in the senior years of schooling and how the curriculum areas of Civics and Citizenship, Politics, International studies, Studies of Asia and Values Education are being developed in Australia and internationally.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- further develop appropriate strategies and techniques for teaching Social Education studies in any school setting;
- devise, adapt, interpret and use curricula, units, and learning materials to enhance your classroom strategies in schools;
- develop an understanding of teaching and learning in Social Education studies at the senior school level;
- demonstrate an understanding of contemporary trends in Social Education teaching in Australia and internationally; and
- explore and develop effective ways of teaching and professional learning after pre-service teacher education.
This unit is graded Pass Grade Only (PGO); This unit will require students to complete two assignments closely connected to the objectives: Assessment task1: Reflective analysis of teaching and learning experiences (2.000 words; 50%). Assessment task 2: Development of a unit of work (2,000 words; 50%).
3 hrs per week
Minor sequence in Social Science (e.g. Anthropogy, Cultural Studies, Economics, Environmental Studies, Geographyl History, Legal Studies, Philosophy, Politics, Sociology together with a part in another of these areas of study); and EDF4118 Social and environmental education or EDF5444
EDF 5445 Studies of society and environment (SOSE) education B