EDF4420 - Science education
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Mr S Keast
This is a 6 point unit for students undertaking the fourth year of Bachelor of Education/Graduate Diploma in Education (Secondary). This unit focuses on content, pedagogy and the interrelationships between them. It provides students with opportunities to develop their science knowledge and skills relevant to teaching in secondary schools and refine their attitudes through reflecting on their past, as well as providing new experiences. Furthermore, it reinforces a view of learning about teaching as an ongoing, collaborative process that is developed through critical reflection on experience.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- acquire a sound understanding of key theoretical and pedagogical perspectives and issues in the teaching of science;
- translate conceptual ideas and processes about science into classroom learning activities for students;
- develop an understanding of the variety of assessment techniques available for use in science education classrooms;
- explore ways of facilitating student's in their explorations of their own questions and investigations;
- evaluate and reflect on their past and present science education experiences; and
- develop, through the exploration and experience of a variety of learning and teaching strategies, a personal approach to teaching science.
This unit is graded Pass Grade Only (PGO); Assessment task 1: Case study Evaluation: (2,000 words or equivalent; 50%). Assessment task 2: Assignment: (2,000 words; 50%).
3 hrs per week
A minor sequence in General Science, which includes at least two of Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science/Geology and Physics OR a minor sequence in Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science/Geology and Physics together with a part in another of these areas., and EDF4113 General science education or EDF 5458
Students must be enrolled simultaneously in a professional experience unit(s).
EDF5459 Science education B