EDF4416 - Media education
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Mr B Trbic
This unit is designed to prepare specialist teachers of Media Studies. It will develop students' understanding of current trends in Media education and investigate representation, narrative and ideologies in television, film, radio, print, the Internet and other media. Studies will include approaches to media production, children's media culture, media issues and critical readings within and outside the Media Studies curriculum. Students will draw upon their knowledge of these issues to design and implement sequential programs of lessons in Media Studies suitable for a range of levels and in accordance with the study design.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- understand the scope and purpose of Media Studies;
- understand the role of Media Studies as a separate discipline and an integrated part of the curriculum;
- understand how new media and technologies have impacted on education and the teaching of Media Studies;
- develop the confidence and expertise to plan, resource, teach and assess Media Studies lessons;
- develop units of work that meet the requirements of curriculum documents for years 7-10 and the post-compulsory years 11 and 12;
- understand and implement the fundamental concepts of critical media literacy and its pedagogy; and
- understand and teach the critical vocabularies and analytical tools of Media Studies.
This unit is graded Pass Grade Only (PGO); Assessment task 1: Conference Workshop on Teaching Media Studies (2,000 words; 50%); Assessment task 2: Teaching Portfolio (2,000 words; 50%); Hurdle requirements: For on-campus students satisfactory attendance is 80%, for off-campus students this is replaced by completion of study questions and other on-line material.
3 hrs per week
A minor sequence in media studies, drama, film, journalism or advertising; and EDF4112 English language and literature education
Students must be enrolled simultaneously in a professional experience unit(s).
EDF5477 Media studies B