EDF4411 - Languages other than English (LOTE) education 1
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Dr J Windle
Clayton Second semester 2009 (Day)
This unit builds on the basic underlying principles of foreign/second language education studied in Second Language Pedagogy. It incorporates a theoretical framework which underpins ways of approaching the teaching and learning of languages in monolingual and multilingual educational settings and focuses on a variety of techniques and strategies to trial with a range of language learners. The unit introduces pre-service teachers to current local and international curriculum documents and assessment requirements for languages.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- enable pre-service teachers in second/foreign languages to plan for and implement lessons in their language which engage learners and develop their cognitive, creative and linguistic skills;
- evaluate existing commercial materials for their language;
- demonstrate basic understanding of current curriculum frameworks and assessment requirements for languages;
- plan interdisciplinary units of work which reflect their understanding of how communication and intercultural knowledge develop through classroom teaching and learning activities;
- make effective use of ICT in language programs;
- plan effective assessment tasks, both formative and summative, for secondary school language learners; and
- use a range of learning materials, including games, songs, multimedia, to develop lexical and grammatical knowledge of secondary school language learners.
This unit is graded Pass Grade Only (PGO); Assessment task 1: A written critical evaluation (2,000 words; 50%); Assessment task 2: Development of an integrated unit of work (2,000 words; 50%).
3 hrs per week
A major sequence (Post Year 12) in Chinese, French, German, Greek, Italian, Indonesian, Hebrew, Japanese or Korean plus proficiency in spoken and written language, and EDF4117 Second language pedagogy. Native speakers of the language may seek a statement of equivalence from a Victorian University, to verify that they meet the standard of a post year 12 major study.
Students must be enrolled simultaneously in a professional experience unit(s).