EDF4410 - Information technology/computing education
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Dr M Henderson
The unit will be based on a number of broad objectives which will enable successful students to understand the scope of Information Technology education at the senior secondary levels including the issues of technology facilitated learning. It will further develop students' knowledge of the methods and teaching styles appropriate for information technology learning at all levels of secondary education. Students will gain familiarity with the resources and facilities available to the information technology teacher, and gain experience with the different ways in which information technology can be structured in schools.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- develop knowledge and understandings about appropriate teaching strategies for teaching and assessing technology at the senior levels in secondary schools;
- develop skills of teaching and class management appropriate to the area of technology;
- design and present projects as the major teaching and learning strategy for technology;
- devise, organise and implement suitable programs of technology for each level of secondary schooling;
- devise and implement procedures for assessing pupils' work in technology;
- develop attitudes in valuing technology as an important new area of learning;
- develop a commitment to the continued development and improvement of technology; and
- develop both an instrumental and critical appreciation of technology.
This unit is graded Pass Grade Only (PGO); Assessment task 1: Teaching Portfolio (1,000 words; 20%); Assessment task 2: Documentation and Report (3,000 words; 80%).
3 hrs per week
A minor sequence in computer studies of information technology, and EDF4115 Information, communication technologies and new media.
Students must be enrolled simultaneously in a professional experience unit(s).
EDF5457 Information technology/computing education B