EDF4409 - Health education
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Dr Z Pawlaczek
The aim of this unit is to provide a secondary teacher education specialism in health that has two foci: 1) on health education in the school context: and 2) developing teaching and learning in health for years 11 and 12. Study in this unit is underscored by the need to develop an understanding of the complex nature of health as part of a social model and the methods for teaching related fields in science, education, society and politics in terms of the interrelationship of individuals and groups throughout the lifespan.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- develop a study plan in Health and Health education that elicits a deep and detailed knowledge pool for the purpose of teaching;
- critically analyse the importance of literacy, numeracy and oracy in the development of curriculum and pedagogy in Health education;
- distinguish between knowledge acquisition and knowledge facilitation in Health education;
- develop a critical position with respect to personal and cultural values as a construct of health;
- design units of study pertaining to Health education for students in Year 11 or 12; and
- explore the use of health informatics through multi-media.
This unit is graded Pass Grade Only (PGO); Assessment task 1: Curriculum and pedagogy task (2,000 words; 50%); Assessment task 2: Oral exam (2,000 words or equivalent; 50%).
3 hours per week
A minor sequence in health studies covering Health, Human Development, Family and Nutrition; and EDF4114 Health, outdoor and physical education
Students must be enrolled simultaneously in a professional experience unit(s).
EDF5491 Health education B