EDF4408 - History education
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Dr R Triolo
EDF4408 History education introduces the teaching and learning of History as a stand-alone discipline and as a rigorous component of either an integrated secondary school Humanities, Social Education or whole-school curriculum program or within the programs of historio-cultural wider education settings. Whilst History education remains mindful of the Victorian Essential Learning Standards as an exemplar of a senior History curriculum, the unit assumes responsibility for developing competent 'specialist' History educators in diverse education settings and global locations who will work with equally diverse History curriculum and educational program documents.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- develop their historical knowledge;
- identify links, similarities and differences between the past and the present;
- identify links, similarities and differences between different histories;
- identify links, similarities and differences between the local and the global;
- predict possible futures on the basis of the above knowledge and determine how best to achieve the preferred future for the greater good;
- develop life, career and wider study skills and an interest in lifelong learning by accessing the knowledge and developing the skills associated specifically with the study of History;
- demonstrate problem-solving capabilities and be able to articulate them in a variety of ways, including creatively; and
- develop values, attitudes and behaviours consistent with informed and positive global citizenship.
This unit is graded Pass Grade Only (PGO); Assessment task 1: A History Resource Guide (2,000 words or equivalent; 50%); Assessment task 2:. A History Unit Outline (2,000 words or equivalent; 50%).
3 hrs per week
Minor sequence in History, EDF4118 Social and environmental education
Students must be enrolled simultaneously in a professional experience unit(s).
EDF5443 History Education B