EDF4406 - English education
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Dr G Parr
EDF4406 English Education is a six point curriculum specialism unit, which enables preservice education students to build a strong foundation for their professional learning as teachers of English, literature, literacy and related subjects in secondary school (Years 7-12). Students develop their capabilities in developing appropriate curriculum and pedagogy in these curriculum areas. Through an examination of the national policy and various State-based curricula, students are familiarised with current developments in English literacy education.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- critically reflect on their beliefs, ethical practices and experiences in regard to subject English and in regard to their teaching of this subject;
- competently use a variety of communication strategies in different modes and in different teaching and learning contexts;
- actively participate in professional conversations about issues pertinent to English education;
- evaluate their own experiences of teaching English in schools and/or other settings; and
- design and publish text-related tasks and artefacts for students in schools and plan accompanying professional learning activities that could be used with peers and/or professional colleagues in schools.
This unit is graded Pass Grade Only (PGO); Assessment task 1: An evaluative piece focusing on the teaching of writing (2,000 words; 50%); Assessment task 2: Development of curriculum materials (and professional learning activities) related to the teaching of text (2,000 words equivalent; 50%.
3 hrs per week
Level 3, undergraduate degree, or by special permission, and at least a minor sequence in 'English literature' or 'Literary studies', or a minor sequence in 'Writing' together with a part in 'English literature' or 'Literary studies' , and must have passed in EDF4112 English language and literacy education or EDF5436
Students must be enrolled simultaneously in a professional experience unit(s).
EDF5437 English Education B