EDF4405 - Economics education
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Ms A Forsyth
This unit builds on the knowledge, skills and behaviours learned in the first semester Business Education unit and explores relevant issues, pedagogy and professional requirements essential for teachers of Economics in the twenty-first century classroom. Pre-service teachers will explore the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) Economics Study Design as an exemplar of course requirements associated with the teaching and learning of Economics at the post compulsory level.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to;
- demonstrate sound knowledge of relevant discipline areas associated with the teaching and learning of economics and related units;
- select and evaluate appropriate economics teaching and learning resources;
- motivate and engage students in their learning of economics;
- set clear, challenging and achievable goals for students;
- use a range of teaching styles, procedures and technologies appropriate to best practice teaching and learning of economics;
- use assessment tasks that are purposeful and relevant to the teaching and learning program and the learning needs of students; and
- use a variety of assessment and reporting methods to regularly monitor student learning progress.
This unit is graded Pass Grade Only (PGO); Assessment task 1: Assessment folio (1,000 words; 25%) Assessment task 2: Learning and Teaching Plan (unit of work) including reflection (3,000 words; 75%.
3 (max) contact hours per week, 9 hours private study
Off-campus attendance requirements
12 hours per week, including interaction with materials provided in the Study Guide,
readings and completion of set tasks. As students will preferably be completing some teaching practicum during the semester this unit is studied, workload is reduced during the weeks of placement.
A minor sequence (two years of study) in Economics, and EDF 4111
Students must be enrolled simultaneously in a professional experience unit(s).
EDF5435 Economics education B