EDF4404 - Drama education
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Miss F Kamevaar
Clayton Second semester 2009 (Day)
This unit will address the theory and practice of secondary school Drama Education. Students will participate in workshops that explore classroom theatre making, utilising a variety of educational approaches students will choose from a range of modules including dance and theatre studies. They will extend their evaluative and teaching skills and develop an understanding of teaching the Arts in Secondary Schools. Guidance and workshops about Secondary level Drama creation will be provided. Activities suitable for use in Secondary Drama classes will be offered.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- understand and develop a critical position with respect to fundamental drama concepts;
- access and develop approaches to theatre classroom activities;
- create collaborative theatre works and reflect on the value this experience;
- understand and critically interpret curriculum documents;
- plan drama activities which will foster young people's abilities to communicate through acting and movement;
- understand how drama may be integrated with other curriculum areas and contexts;
- acccess and understand a variety of assessment techniques to evaluate student learning and development in drama that cater for the needs of students in mixed ability classrooms; and
- adopt a reflective approach to teaching drama.
This unit is graded Pass Grade Only (PGO); Assessment task 1: Research Task (2,000 words; 50%); Assessment task 2: Performance Task.(2,000 words or equivalent; 50%).
3 hrs per week
A minor sequence in Drama or Theatre Studies including practical drama, and EDF4110 Arts education
Students must be enrolled simultaneously in a professional experience unit(s).
EDF5475 Drama education B