EDF4114 - Health, outdoor and physical education
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Ms Terri-Anne Philpott (Clayton), Dr Z Pawlaczek (Gippsland)
This unit investigates teaching approaches of Health, Outdoor and Physical Education for wellbeing outcomes. This unit intends to take an integrated approach of the three distinct areas and demonstrate how they can be implemented in 7 - 10 school curriculums. This approach emphasizes a shift to a socio-ecological perspective. The unit highlights pedagogical practices, in particular those within the Health, Outdoor and Physical Education areas.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Identify how Health Education, Outdoor Education and Physical Education contribute to a socio- ecological understanding of education;
- Critically analyse the theories of Health and Outdoor Education and Physical Education curriculum construction, interpretations of wellbeing, and elements of integration;
- Identify and apply effective and innovative approaches to teaching within an integrated 7-10 curriculum,
- develop competence in planning and implementing lessons and units of work
- Identify and utilize child development theories, classroom materials, and the wider learning environment to create opportunities for diversity in teaching and learning where wellbeing is the intended aim; and
- Develop their ability to identify and apply ethical reasoning in the teaching of health, outdoor or physical education from examination of issues facing teachers.
This unit is graded Pass Grade Only (PGO); Assessment task 1: Written assignment (2,000 words, 50%); Assessment task 2: Written assignment (2,000 words, 50%)
3 hrs pw
Level 3, undergraduate degree with a minor sequence in Health, Physical Education or Outdoor Education. [Note: Students undertaking this unit as a middle school option through the Bachelor of Education (Primary) will meet different requirements. Specific advice should be sought.]
EDF5482, EDF5485, EDF5490