EDF4113 - General science education
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Mr. S Keast (Clayton), Ms H Ma (Gippsland)
This unit introduces students to the language, methods and major ideas useful in contemporary science teaching. Although the main focus is on the Victorian post secondary science curriculum, students will also explore science curricula from national and international perspectives. The unit will draw on concepts from constructivist theories of learning, pedagogical content knowledge and critical reflection. Emphasis will be placed on students building their understanding of science teaching through collaborative participation in a range of contexts and experiences.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- critically reflect on their experiences as learners of science and identify implications for their professional identity;
- develop an understanding of a constructivist perspective on learning and its implications for science teaching;
- become familiar with curriculum documents related to teaching science;
- build pedagogical content knowledge through a focus on developing understanding of the relationships between content, context and pedagogical approach;
- develop competence in planning and implementing lessons and units of work;
- become sensitized to the "real world" of the learners in their classrooms and develop an appreciation for providing learning experiences that will be meaningful to students; and
- develop technical competence in planning and implementing units of work and lessons.
This unit is graded Pass Grade Only (PGO); Assessment task 1: Written assignment (2,000 words, 50%); Assessment task 2: Written assignment (2,000 words, 50%)
3 hours per week
Level 3, undergraduate degree, 4 units of tertiary science or by special permission. (Note: Students undertaking this unit as a middle school option through the Bachelor of Education (Primary) will meet different requirements. Specific advice should be sought.)