EDF4110 - Arts education
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Dr Jane Southcott
This is a 6 point unit for students in a Graduate Diploma of Education (Secondary Education) and a Bachelor of Education.
It provides an introduction to teaching in the arts and focuses on issues facing classroom practitioners. Issues such as curriculum, assessment and the development and management of effective learning episodes in the arts including literacy,
numeracy and ICT needs will be discussed. The aesthetic and creative development of the student will be discussed.
Performance, display and advocacy for the arts in schools and communities will be considered. There will be a focus on the preparation and compilation of resources for current and future teaching.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- develop, prepare and evaluate effective learning episodes in school arts education;
- explore and develop instructional strategies applicable in the arts classroom such as management and occupational health and safety issues;
- understand curriculum concepts and documentation in arts education;
- explore and develop strategies for engendering creative and aesthetic experiences in arts education;
- show an awareness of approaches to inclusive arts education; and
- understand the role of arts education in school communities.
This unit is graded Pass Grade Only (PGO); Assessment task 1: Analysis of a learning context (2,000 words or equivalent; 50%); Assessment task 2: Unit of work (2,000 words or equivalent; 50%)
3 hrs per week
Undergraduate degree; enrolment in Grad. Dip. Ed; or by special permission. (Note: Students undertaking this unit as a middle school option through the Bachelor of Education (Primary) will meet different requirements. Specific advice should be sought.)