EDF3201 - Curriculum studies: primary art and music
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Dr C Peers (Peninsula) & Ms N Albon (Gippsland)
The art and music components will reflect curriculum documents. The unit provides guidance and workshops about children's art and explores visual art activities and art appreciation suitable for primary children. In the music component students will discuss rationales and program development and evaluation in music. Students will participate in workshops that explore classroom music making, utilising a range of educational approaches. Students will develop their performance skills on classroom instruments. Students will investigate and acquire skill and understanding in the range of classroom teaching strategies that engender non-verbal thinking.
Upon completion of this unit, students should:
- have developed an understanding of: the sequential nature of child growth in the Arts; the principles and practices of effective teaching and learning in visual art and music; and the requirements of the Victorian Essential Learning Standards;
- have investigated a range of art media and processes;
- have developed their skills and understanding in music (including basic practical skills on classroom instruments),
- have considered issues relating to planning, implementation and evaluation of the arts curriculum in the primary school;
- have an understanding of relevant learning technologies and of current professional issues in Arts Education.
Journal of responses to class topics (2800 words equiv.): 70%
practical work (1200 words equiv.): 30%
Hurdle requirement: 80% attendance
3 hours per week