EDF3125 - Children's literature: issues and analysis
6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Dr G Auld
Peninsula First semester 2009 (Day)
This unit has been designed to give students knowledge and appreciation of the features of a wide range of children's literature suitable for primary-aged children; the ability to critically analyse children's texts from various perspectives; and an awareness of current issues relating to selecting and presenting literature to young children.
Upon completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an appreciation for the diversity of genre available in children's literature;
- understand the criteria for selecting literature for primary school children;
- understand the key issues concerned with the content and promotion of children's literature;
- understand the components for the analysis of children's literature; and
- show an ability to present literature to children in a variety of ways.
Assessment Task 1: Title: Written assignment (1600 words, 40%)
Assessment Task 2 : Title: Folio (2,400 words or equivalent, 60%)
2 hours per week