EDF2323 - Inquiry in professional practice: upper primary
6 points, SCA Band 0 (NATIONAL PRIORITY), 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Education
Leader(s): Dr J Nuttall
Peninsula First semester 2009 (Day)
This unit provides students in the Bachelor of Early Childhood Education with the opportunity to engage with curriculum and pedagogy in the upper primary school. Students are expected to demonstrate professional knowledge and practice drawn from other units in the course, and the attitudes and dispositions appropriate to teaching in upper primary school settings.
As a result of successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- consistently demonstrate a range of appropriate professional behaviours, including punctuality, courtesy, confidentiality, and appropriate dress;
- exhibit curiosity and initiative in forming relationships with children, colleagues, and families, including the ability to clearly articulate to others the fieldwork and practice requirements of this unit;
- plan and initiate a range of experiences for children (individuals and small groups) across a variety of curriculum domains (e.g. literacy, numeracy, music, art, science, technology), including the arrangement of space, time, and materials to support children's learning;
- engage with colleagues and families to identify their expectations for children's learning and development, in a way that incorporates the needs of diverse learners; and
- systematically plan for, and reflect on, their own development.
20 days placement
Assessment task 1: Satisfactory completion of the fieldwork placement, as per the requirements specified in the Professional Placement Handbook (2,400 or equivalent, 60%)
Assessment task 2: The addition of a minimum of three items to the professional portfolio (equivalent to 1600 words, 40%)
3 contact hours per week, 9 hours private study including readings, completion of set tasks and self-directed learning.