ECX9710 - Pharmaceutical economics
6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Business and Economics
Leader(s): Ms Jennifer Watts and Ms Jean Spinks
The economics of the pharmaceutical industry including the market for pharmaceuticals and its regulation internationally and in Australia. Principles of economic evaluation of the costs and outcomes of pharmaceutical products, and provides a guide to best practice with particular emphasis on clinical trials and protocol design.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- economic analysis in the pharmaceutical industry
- structure of the pharmaceutical industry and the inter-relationship between the nature of the product, market structure and government regulation
- impact of government intervention in the pharmaceutical industry including alternative regulatory regimes
- role of economic evaluation in promoting the efficient use of drugs
- economic analysis of drugs alongside clinical trials, including techniques of health outcome measurement.
Within semester assessment: 70%+ Examination (2 hours): 30%