ECF5010 - Research issues paper
6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Business and Economics
Leader(s): Dr James Ang and Dr Asadul Islam
Caulfield Second semester 2009 (Evening)
Senior positions in government and corporations expect professionals to have a high level of research competence. This subject is designed to impart this skill by requiring students to select a project in their area of specialisation and submit a 9000 word report and an oral presentation. Students will work closely with a personal supervisor to ensure that the research paper locates and masters new knowledge and demonstrates originality in both research content and intellectual argument.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- consolidate knowledge of issues specific to the respective areas of specialisation
- develop analytical and diagnostic skills and enhance the ability to analyse and resolve problems of practical importance
- broaden the experience with research methods applied to practical problems and demonstrate a capacity for original work, both in terms of locating new knowledge and its application
- acquire skills in the written presentation of applied research work
- hone oral skills and acquire experience in demonstrating the capacity in research and exposition in seminars attended by senior practitioners from the private and corporate sectors.
Within semester assessment: 100%
One 2-hour seminar per week
Students must be enrolled in course 3842 to undertake this unit